Thursday, August 9, 2012

Fountain of Youth

Ashland, Oregon has a fountain in the middle of the "town square" where sulphery, soda water bubbles forth. At some point in history Ashland tried to forge it's way as a spa town but things didn't bubble up to their expectations. It's suppose to possess many healthy minerals for all things healing but bottling it was not a success. Apparently people did not want to drink stinky water. We all had a lap of it. Upon first taste, well. . . it stinks. We all know how olfactory and tasting senses are in an iron-glad partnership. It smelled like rotting eggs and it tickled the tongue. I wasn't prepared for the fizzy, soda-like effervescence that prickled my tongue. But I have to admit, once I got past the sodium-like, stinky, bubbly taste, I still didn't like it. My oncoming cold went away though. No, that didn't happen either. It was however, a fun experience that I'm sure the kids will remember. I've heard that taste and sounds and smells play a big part in connecting with our memories. I have to think that some day when my children get the opportunity to drink rotting soda, they will think fondly of that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment